Tuesday, April 27, 2010
BEDA #26: Quotations
For years, I've been a collector of quotations for years. I used to sit up late scouring quotedb.com looking for gems, and one of my favourite books is my Bartlett's. These are a few favourites that I've scribbled in my notebook. Enjoy.
Life:
"Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life."
— Mark Twain
"A day without laughter is a day wasted."
— Charlie Chaplin
"Laughter is not at all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is by far the best ending for one."
— Oscar Wilde
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd."
— Voltaire
"Wisdom begins in wonder."
— Socrates
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."
— Charles W. Eliot
"Obstacles are those frightening things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."
— Henry Ford
"The world bursts at the seams with people ready to tell you you're not good enough. But do not do their work for them. Seek any job, ask anyone out; pursue any goal. Don't take it personally when they say "no" -- they may not be smart enough to say "yes"."
— Keith Olbermann
Literary:
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
— Alexander Pope; Eloisa to Alebard
Half the night I waste in sighs,
Half in dreams I sorrow after
The delight of early skies;
In a wakeful doze I sorrow
For the hand, the lips, the eyes,
For the meeting of the morrow,
The delight of happy laughter,
The delight of low replies.
— Lord Alfred Tennyson; Maud: A Monodrama (Part II)
A pain stabbed my heart as it did every time I saw a girl I loved who was going the opposite direction in this too-big world.
— Jack Kerouac; On The Road
Film:
I was one of the insatiables. The ones you’d always find sitting closest to the screen. Why do we sit so close? Maybe it was because we wanted to receive the images first. When they were still new, still fresh. Before they cleared the hurdles of the rows behind us. Before they’d been relayed back from row to row, spectator to spectator; until worn out, second-hand, the size of a postage stamp, it returned to the projectionist’s cabin. Maybe, too, the screen was really a screen. It screened us… from the world.— The Dreamers
What are your favourite quotations?
'Til Tomorrow!
Nicola x
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I love quotes too (and that quotation mark tattoo!)
One of my favorite quotes is by Ghandi:
"Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behaviors. Keep your behaviors positive because your behaviors become your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny."
That's a neat tattoo.. I'm sure it's been copied a thousand times.. too bad.
Chelsea - That's a great quote! Thanks for sharing.
Pia - I was thinking the same thing... which is rather unfair of both of us if the girl in the picture copied it too ;)
Post a Comment