Thursday, April 15, 2010

BEDA #14: Travel


It's hard to say whether or not I travel a lot. I do and I don't. I share my time between home: Scotland, and home-from-home: California. The amount of time spent in each place varies, but I guess you could say I live in both. In that respect, you could say I don't travel very much at all.

I do love it, though. I'm extremely lucky to be able to go back and forth as much as I do, and for all of the trips that I take in-between. Some of my favourite places to visit are:

  • Glasgow: Naturally. It can be a dour place at times but when it's a clear day and you can see a long way, or pass all of the beautiful old buildings, or take a stroll through the West End on a sunny day, it's lovely. We have amazing old theatres and cinemas, lots of bars and coffee shops, and, of course, lots of great people. No matter where I end up, it will always be "home".
  • Santa Barbara: I lived in Santa Barbara for a school year, about 9 months. It's difficult to get around if you don't drive, but it's absolutely gorgeous. Lots of beaches, palm trees everywhere, sunshine, clear skies (even after a morning of rolling fog), beautiful Spanish Mission-style buildings, and the Sierra Nevada.
  • Vancouver: I only ever spent a few days in Vancouver, but it's somewhere I wish I could live. The contrast between the tall buildings and the lovely plush greens of Stanley Park, the bridges and harbour and the hilly streets, made me think of San Francisco and Glasgow mooshed together into one super-city. The people were ultra-friendly, the public transport easy to navigate, the streets are clean, the sun shines all spring, the food we ate was amazing, and the bars were fantastic. They even close the bar-friendly streets off from traffic to keep the pedestrians safe. Where else do you see that?!
  • San Francisco: A little big and intimidating for my tastes, but I love to spend a weekend here. The hills, the bay breeze, and the baseball park are the best. I'm pretty sure I went on and on about it on Day 4.
What are your favourite cities to visit?

'Til Tomorrow!
Nicola x

P.S. There are some new posts at Uncultured Critic: Here, here, and here. Enjoy!

3 comments:

The Curious Cat said...

Ah this entry has made me think about more travel... :) I caught a taxi through central London last night - a rare treat - and thought how beautiful the city is...I will miss it...but then there are other places to experience and enjoy so I need to leave...can always come back xxx

Ana said...

I love visiting Paris, Barcelona and Amsterdam :)

Anonymous said...

I loved visiting Alicante, Spain. Of all the places, Spain didn't even make my list of places that I wanted to visit...and yet, it was one of the firsts, and I want to return so badly!
I also love St. Augustine, Florida and Traverse City, Michigan. Oh, and Excelsior Springs, Missouri (population 1001).