I was a pretty voracious reader as a kid. From picking out big shiny picture books at the library to holding my battered paperbacks up to the window to catch rogue rays of streetlight after bedtime, I was always reading. Even if it was the same thing over and over. I was oddly picky - reading only Chapter 20: The Vixen in the Animals of Farthing Wood, or preferring The Giraffe & The Pelly & Me a fourth time over to the newest Goosebumps. Some stick out in my memory more than others. These are some of my all-time favourites.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
This is one of those books that has all sorts of pull-out sections and folding parts to enhance the story. It has had a recent surge of popularity in recent years and seems to be re-appearing at a lot of bookshops. There are new versions, but I like to think that mine was the original and best (despite the fact that it was first published in 1969). It still gets quoted in my house, "but he was stiiiiill hungry!"

The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr
I'm not sure I ever actually owned this book - maybe I loaned it from the library a lot. I love tigers and I love tea, so perhaps this book shaped me in more ways than I will ever truly know. The artwork is absolutely beautiful, and I love the simplicity of the story despite the inherent implications in inter-species dining. This book is currently on sale at Fopp; I've been meaning to pick it up. For old times' sake.
Everything by Roald Dahl
My favourites, in rough order: Danny, The Champion of the World; The Giraffe &; the Pelly &; Me; James &; the Giant Peach; Charlie & the Chocolate Factory; Fantastic Mr Fox; The BFG; Matilda; George's Marvellous Medicine; The Twits. There are only 3 of his children's books that I haven't read. I've been meaning to revisit his autobiographies, which I didn't understand growing up: Boy - Tales of Childhood and Going Solo. I don't have to tell you why Roald Dahl was amazing.
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
I've read this book tens of times and never tired of it. I must have started young, because I remember feeling much younger than Fern's 8 years, and thinking back on it when I read it again (and again and again) when I was 9 or 10. It's an undisputed classic and I have some great memories of reading this book. I still have the same old battered copy, of which I tried and failed to find a representative picture. This is one of the film posters, but it's modelled on the cover I own. What a great book.
Anything by Jacqueline Wilson
The Illustrated Mum; The Bed &; Breakfast Star; Double Act; Girls...; The Suitcase Kid… the list goes on. Pretty much anything published by ol' Jacquie up until the third "Girls" book, when I graduated on to Louise Rennison's classic Confessions of Georgia Nicholson series -- which I count as being too old to be considered children's books. The best thing about Jacqueline Wilson books was that they were often published with two novels in one physical book. Result!
Also, you should check out this fantastic new children's book blog called Book Scout by Andrea, a former librarian children's bookseller.
What were your favourite books growing up?
'Til Tomorrow!
Nicola x
[Images from weheartit, Wikipedia & here.]


2 comments:
There was a book called Ant and Bee and the Rainbow which I LOVED and would ask again and again and again for it to be read. So much so that my family would actually hide it just to get some peace! (I know. Practically child abuse.)
Other than that I was very much an Enid Blyton girl. Famous Five, Secreet Seven, Magic Faraway Tree, Mallory Towers, etc etc!
We have similar tastes in children's books :D
Post a Comment