Wednesday, April 21, 2010

BEDA #20: Dreams


I wasn't particularly ambitious as a child. Like most 8 year-olds, I wanted to be a vet for a few  years, a marine biologist, a singer. My sister and I would bandage up our soft toys and turn our room into an animal hospital and I would be the receptionist who checked in each pet, using a plastic toy ironing board and as my desk. In a way I suppose we were both destined to end up studying film, since my dad would film us, documentary-style, as we introduced him to the inner workings of our surgery. Other than that, I would mostly aimlessly wander around with a clipboard and pen, or scribble idly in old desk planners. You could say I was highly organised with a lack of things to organise.

I'm still kind of lacking in direction, but I try. Lately I've been working towards film journalism. Covering events, reviewing films, writing small feature articles and making some contacts. In September, I'm most likely going back to university to do a masters in Film Journalism, which will balance vocational practice with academia. I guess my dream situation would be something like editor of Sight & Sound and visiting lecturer at a good university. Or lecturer at a good university and editor of an academic film journal. Maybe I just like the words "film", "journal", "journalism", and "academic".

My absolute dream job is Story Supervisor at Pixar. I'm not sure that they hire people who can't draw, but a girl can dream, right?

Ideally, all I want in life is to have a job I'm happy in, that makes decent money, to have amazing people in my life, to live and eat well, to read and write and watch lots of films, and to travel.

What are your dreams? Are they based around a job or something different?

'Til Tomorrow!
Nicola x

[Photo by Lissy Elle.]

2 comments:

the_young_dude said...

Dream job : show host on a radio station... I don't see that one coming true anytime soon either!

Ana said...

Hahaha, I also wanted to be a singer and a marine biologist!
I wouldn't mind going into Film Journalism, I think it's fascinating.