Sunday, April 11, 2010

BEDA #10: Shopping Kryptonite



I can resist anything… except temptation to impulse-buy books, Moleskines, souvenir t-shirts, coffee, more books, special edition magazines, cute pouches, handbags, and anything that involves upgrading my computer, iPod, etc. Naturally, plane tickets and travel insurance make a pretty big dent in my finances.

I have a system when it comes to buying things that I know I shouldn't allow myself to buy. It's the cost-per-wear argument, adapted to entertainment. I buy far more books than is reasonable, so I need to find a way to justify my purchases. It breaks down like this: a cinema ticket costs around £6 - £7; a book at Fopp (or anywhere else that sells below RRP) tends to be in the region of £3 - 6. There is also added risk, since I may not actually read it when something better comes along or I lose interest in reading for awhile. However, I estimate that I read about 50 books per 1 hour, so a 3-400-page book tends to be around 6-8 hours entertainment, at 50p-£2 per hour. My math may be more than a little bit dodgy, but it works for me!

How do you move the goal-posts to allow yourself a little somethin' somethin'?

'Til Tomorrow (Wrap-up Sunday)!
Nicola x

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the photo. I have a great childhood memory of going to see "Duck Tales: The Movie" with my grandma.

Anonymous said...

I love Duck Tales!

Ugh...spending money. I am notoriously frugal. I will go an entire year without getting my hair cut because $15 seems unreasonable. I maybe buy myself goodies three or four times a year. My frugalness is about as unhealthy as someone who is a complete impulse buyer.

But, I guess it's not so bad because I usually have a hefty chunk of change to buy myself one pricy gift a year. Like a plane ticket to Spain, a train ticket to visit my brother in North Dakota, an XBOX 360, and a pair of $70 jeans that I wear way too much.

The Sequin Cat said...

I love your rationale!

Unknown said...

Kyle - haha, nice! I don't think I ever saw it at the cinema.

Jackie - Being frugal can be almost as dangerous as being impulsive. Great returns, though!

Sequin Cat - You should try it! It's a great excuse when there's a wait on the book you want at the library ;)