
I stole this from Book Travellers Inc. because I liked it, and it gave me something to talk about.
Bookmark or bent page ?
I used to be a big dog-earer, but I've become more anal in recent times. I usually use whatever is close for a bookmark - generally the neck of my booklight, a train ticket, a credit card, that sort of thing. My Japanese friend gave me a cute set of bookmarks last year but I then used all 3 in different books and haven't finished any of them. I guess real bookmarks and I do not agree.
Have you ever been offered a book ?
Probably, but not recently. I'm constantly offering people books, like, READ IT WILL YOU. I took a couple of my mum's Jodi Picoult books the other day because she was going to put them in the charity shop otherwise.
Do you read in your bath ?
I take a bath maybe once a year, and also no.
Have you already thought about writing a book ?
A few times, but I don't have any story ideas. If I ever do it'll be academic I imagine.
What do you think about books in several volumes ?
Not a big fan, really. I read 6 of the Harry Potter series, and by that point I'd forgotten an awful lot so I just read a summary of the last one online. I loved the Georgia Nicholson series by Louise Rennison and read them up until the 7th or 8th volume, but I'm not even sure how many there are now. Basically, it's too much of an investment for me. Although I would like to finish the Harry Potter series sometime.
Do you have a cult book ?
Umm.. I don't know. The Hobbit?
Do you like to re-read ?
I used to re-read books constantly, because I didn't know what else to read. I have a few favourites that I'd like to re-read. My memory for storylines isn't fantastic so I can enjoy the same book over and over.
What about meeting or not with the authors of the books you've liked ?
I went to a book signing for Harry Potter 4. I was picking up my brother's order and filled out the quiz they had on, and won a ticket to go to the signing in Edinburgh. So, I ended up buying my own copy too and went and got it signed. It was a big event so it was literally just like, "hello, nice to meet you" *scribble* "thank you very much! Bye!" I'd love to meet authors who are quite visible like John Green or Stephen Fry, because I kind of feel like I know them through videos and twitter and that sort of thing. Ach I dunno.
Do you like to talk about the books you read ?
Of course! It's finding someone else who's read it that's the problem. Most of the time I just talk my boyfriend's ear off about it, and he does the same with his popular science stuff.
How do you pick your books ?
This is actually quite difficult to answer. Lately I've been scouring my sites for recommendations because I've been trying to spend my bookmooch points and most things I want aren't available. I also look at amazon rating averages of authors I've heard of, and browse Borders for stuff that I've heard about and make a list of those books to look for later. I've been reading more classics and modern classics recently as well. I've built up quite a to-read list so I'm sure it'll expand as I work through those.
Something you read, hard to confess ?
Well I was hearing a lot about Twilight this time last year, and I was just getting back into reading so I was looking for books that were short and/or easy to read, like young adult books. We missed a flight from Vancouver to San Francisco so I picked up Twilight for about $8 in the airport. I'm not ashamed, the film hype hadn't spread yet, but at least I can say I've read it! It's fun to read despite its faults.
Best places to read ?
Laying in bed, curled up on a super comfy couch, or sitting in a coffee shop where they play good music.
The ideal book would be...
Oh, I have no idea. I am awful at working out what I like. Murakami must be close, though, because I've read all but about 3 of his books.
Read over people's shoulders ?
I like looking at what people are reading and making a mental note of the title, but reading over shoulders is uncomfortable for everyone, always.
TV, computer games or book ?
Book. Unless Scrubs is on. Or Family Guy. Or Gilmore Girls. I am such an E4 addict.
Read and eat ?
Can't do it. I wish I could, but I can't. I can barely drink tea while reading.
Read with music, in silence, whatever...
I'm pretty aurally fixated, so when I try to read along to music (I just tried to put music on while typing this and I'm going to have to turn it off again!) I end up picking up on the changes and new instruments coming in and... yeah, can't do it. If I'm in a coffee shop I can usually manage to block out most of the outside noise, though.
E-books ?
Never tried, but I doubt it would work out well. I get lazy when I'm reading on-screen and skim a lot.
Borrow or buy ?
Buy! It is an illness. I can't not buy a book if I have cash and am in a bookshop. Lately I've been buying the £2 Penguin Popular Classics, but still... it's a sickness. Really. I have about 20 books that I currently own and have yet to read.
What book are you reading now – which one is coming next ?
I'm reading Stephen Fry's autobiography, Moab is My Washpot. I'm terrible at sticking with non-fiction though, so I started The Kite Runner as well.
Have you already dropped a book ?
Several. Currently still to try to read again are: 1984 (hated it), Lolita (couldn't get into it), Hard-Boiled Wonderland & the End of the World (very disappointing for Murakami), and Atonement (too sad!)
What's the first book you just fell in love with ?
Memoirs of a Geisha. It's absolutely stunning. It's a few years now since i read it but it really does read like a memoir and not a novel. You almost can't imagine it not being true. So good.
What about you? Feel free to steal this and put it in your BEDA, I want to see your responses! Or feel free to post it in the comments.
Until tomorrow!
Nicola
1 comment:
So I read this earlier, but wanted to let you know I liked it and I think I will use it. I saw that Becky did too. I was actually looking last week for a survey like this to do for my blog but I didn't find one I liked. Very interesting ...
Post a Comment