Monday, April 20, 2009

BEDA #20: Publications



Today's topic is student publications.

The newspaper at my home university leaves much to be desired. I haven't had a great experience with them-- but I did manage to get a pretty substantial article in for my last issue ever. It's a shame that it doesn't do better, really. Being such a small university and being parched of funding has bred apathy amongst students and it hasn't improved in my four years here.

The magazine displayed in that photograph is called WORD. When I was at UCSB I co-founded this lovely wee student publication, and it's probably my favourite thing I've done at university. UC Santa Barbara is known as the party school, but there is a lot of arts and culture going on and it's a really fun thing to get involved in -- you just need to know where to find it! The magazine started as a response to another publication that was started by some stoner surfers, detailing how to play beer pong and reviewing weed and other such fare. A couple of the interdisciplinary professors involved in Isla Vista arts projects thought it absolutely went against what they were trying to achieve, so they got some students together to make a new magazine to counter the party culture.

I was involved in the first three issues (it's released quarterly), and they're currently working on the fifth issue. It's a stunning wee magazine, you can view it online here. WORD was so much fun to be involved in-- I miss it!

Are you or were you involved in any student publications? Did you like them? What kind of things did you write about?

Until tomorrow!
Nicola x

No comments: