
If a person believes that life is wonderful, they’ll look for the corresponding signage and behave in a similar manner to the previous person with their view of the world.
Often, this is the same person on different days of the week.
(Image by mwest; Quote via I Wrote This For You.)
In life, especially in the past couple of years, I've tried to be the second person. I try not to let things get me down, refrain from ranting about insignificant things, and try to change things rather than complaining about them. You are responsible for your own happiness, and it took me quite a while to realise that.
Sometimes, though, the tough part is working out what makes you happy. I could tell you lots of little things that I enjoy (and have done, it's getting to a point where I practically think in things-I-like lists!) but I haven't worked out what I want to do in the long-run yet. Over the past couple of months I was happy to leave university without a plan, except to have fun in the US over the summer. Now, though, I've really started to enjoy academia and doing my own research and writing about my findings. So I started to think about Masters degrees. I've realised that I do need structure, and if I don't know what my next step is, I'll probably get lazy and fail to achieve much.
It made me think about people and their passions, the things they do. Everyone has their own little quirks and rituals, and I love finding those things out. I've always flitted around between different interests. When I was really young it was Roald Dahl books and Disney films. High school began with Jacqueline Wilson, girly magazines and early reality television. By the end of high school it was music, theatre, and going to the cinema two to three times per week. Now I'm crazy about regaining my love of novels, writing, and internet culture. But when it comes to a career path or even where I'd like to live, I'm still clueless.
What are your passions and interests? How do you motivate yourself to follow them up? What do you want to do with your life?!?!
Until tomorrow (with more direction)!
Nicola x
No comments:
Post a Comment