
(Image via recyclart.)
Have you ever had a song that, every time you listen to it, it transports you back to a particular time and place? Since I spent last year studying abroad in California, I've aggregated quite a collection of music that does this for me. The song that embodies California for me is 54-46 / Ball & Chain by Sublime. My boyfriend tried to get me into Sublime for the longest time, but it wasn't until I lived in CA that I "got it". Now, I can't bear to listen to their music at home most of the time because it's so overcast here and it doesn't fit.
Some other songs include the first disc of In Rainbows by Radiohead - which takes me back to long Amtrak bus-rides up the 101, and Norwegian Wood played on acoustic guitar by an Aussie who lived with my Norwegian friend.
Desecration Smile by Red Hot Chili Peppers is Monterey by the sea, and the rest of the second disc takes me back to the 17 mile drive and highway 1, in an open-top Porsche with the wind, cliffs, sand and ocean breeze.
What songs take you back?
2 comments:
Just discovered you're blog and I love it! I'm a twitter follower :]
A song that takes me back is Forever Young - Youth Group because my last boyfriend asked me out during a fireworks show and that song was playing. Aw!
Wow that picture is amazing. I love it.
I'm from California originally, and I definitely agree that Red Hot Chili Peppers and Sublime kind of embody CA. I have a few Sublime vinyls and it makes me feel a little sad to listen to them now that I live in D.C.
Post a Comment