Monday, April 2, 2012

BED4 Day 2: Confessions of a Part-time Blogger


I spent a lot of time looking at blogs today, which may seem like a good way to gather inspiration for a daily blogathon. In fact, it's a good way to realise the reasons why most blogs are unread, or plateau, or are lavished with attention and then left abandoned in an internet wasteland.

You'd be surprised to learn how many blogs out there don't contain the author's name (or, in many cases, even a pseudonym or moniker) and which drone on interminably with no indication to whom its 'I's and 'we's belong. Many don't link to any other nodes of the writer's web presence, or even an archipelago of similar blogs. Some exist as though in a vacuum, incongruously boasting a mysteriously large follower count or number of comments. Many are addressed to a single anonymous person or entirely for self-preservation. It's a strange, disconnected world out there.

Despite all this, returning to personal blogging can be fun. This blog is revived exactly once per year for this very purpose. In the same way that today I enjoyed a freelance day amidst a holiday (an inversion of my usual routine), blogging is an easy switch to flip. At times, upon one's return, things no longer really fit, and there's a tendency to get onto a new platform or a new username altogether. BED4 for me has become an experimentation, an examination of the blogging tendency, a story told not through individual posts but an overarching timeline.

It's weird as fuck, man. It really is.

Twitter / Tumblr / Uncultured Critic

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never thought about it this way, but I think your sentiments are quite accurate. :)