
Lately I've slowed down on my reading a lot, and I'm finding that fiction isn't doing it for me quite as much. Perhaps it's my choice of novels and short stories, or maybe it's because I was revelling in escapist tendencies to a greater degree earlier this year. I'm fairly sure that it has something to do with 1. my influences and 2. being out of full-time education.
Firstly, my boyfriend is very much a realist and tends to keep me on my toes in terms of critical thinking and having a healthy dose of scepticism. He also kicks my ass at Jeopardy on a daily basis, so trivia and general knowledge are climbing my agenda. While reading fiction is great for expanding one's vocabulary, the lure of technical language and juicy facts is a tempting me into the world of non-fiction.
Secondly, being a recent graduate has left me feeling more than a little bit desolate. I feel as though my thinking skills have deserted me. Twitter is consuming hours of my day, the TV is on far more than usual, and blogs never quite satiate my thirst for knowledge and a damn good discussion on something ridiculously serious.
Tip for non-readers of non-fiction:
If you find non-fiction too dry, try reading one in tandem with your latest fiction pick, so that when it gets too dry you can switch over without stopping reading altogether.
What type of reader are you? Do you have a preference for fiction or non-fiction, or do you read a bit of both? Was there a point where your tastes completely changed gears?
Photo.
7 comments:
My reading is very much a consequence of my mood and what followed before. If I have read something rather heavy then I need something light-hearted afterwards. I sometimes read non-fiction in between fiction. Some good non-fiction that I can recommend of the top of my head right now are: anything by Christina Lamb - (foreign correspondant of the year award like so many times over) very topical but easy(ish) reading and Libery by Lucy Moore (if you are interested in the French Revolution). There is also always biography or historical fiction that kind of act as a half way point? It is good to try and be diverse where possible with reading though - I try to be an all rounder though I have to admit I don't often stray into trashy women's fiction unless I've really read something epic that has fried my brain...and anyway there is always the London Lite/Metro/London paper if need be instead...
Great suggestions, thank you! I'm the same, when I read something quite substantial I usually read a wee 200-pager afterwards. I've read quite a few autobiographies and memoirs without realising it, they tend to run kind of slow though.
I like a combination :) I probably tend to gravitate towards fictional novels more, but I LOVE a good biography!
I really like the novels that you have in the pic. Jack Kerouac's "On the Road," and Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby," are two of my absolute favorites. I tend to re-read my favorite fiction novels over and over again. I don't do that with non-fiction.
I try to mix it up - read some fiction, read a bit of non-fiction. Try to do a classic, a bit of new fiction, a bit of easy-going chick lit. Whatever takes my fancy! I like a good biography, I picked up a book in 2nd hand bookshopp for £2 about the Mitford girls - had never heard of them but thought I would give it a go. I'm now obsessed and have just finished reading the book of their letters to each other.
I went through the same thing after I'd graduated though. I could feel my brain slowly decaying once I didn't have to keep at the books!
I had a few courses on creative non-fiction this past year, and they were absolutely intriguing. I love memoirs! And I love personal essays! I've never been one for biographies though.
I also love teen and children literature despite being 21 years old (regardless if it's non-fiction or not). I feel kind of lame for admitting that, but I can't deny it!
Corrine - Me too. I prefer autobiographies but they do get a bit slow in the middle. That's why I like to work one of each in tandem.
Des - Thanks for stopping by! I've read and loved all of the books in the picture. On The Road was one of my favourites of last year. It's always great to re-read a favourite.
The Girl - Good deals like that are the best! It's good to mix it up, I think I've slowed down because I have a backlog of serious ones to get through. If you have a Fopp nearby you should check it out!
Jackie - I'm jealous, I want to take a creative non-fiction class. I still love teen literature too, although sometimes it all seems a tad melodramatic, haha. Don't feel lame, they're good!
Post a Comment