Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Awesome.

As I settle back into life in California, there are a number of things I love that I can't get back home. Since I've lived in the UK for the past year I had kind of forgotten how much I missed them. Now that they're back in my life, I realise how awesome they are all over again. Quite often it's part of an old routine (Late Night Shows, local eateries), and other times it's fresh discoveries.

These new blog-post celebrations of awesome might be a TV show, a website, a personality, a writer, a restaurant, a book, a person I saw on the street... anything! This series of posts will say "f*ck it!" to consistency, wave goodbye to originality, and share whatever my inner child is squee-ing about this week. And how!

What's awesome this week?


Photo.


Tosh.0 & Daniel Tosh

You may know the brilliant and hilarious Daniel Tosh from his Comedy Central special, Completely Serious. His new show, Tosh.0 is all about internet viral videos. I know, right? I, for one, have always considered it a truth that internet and television do not mix. E4 even produces a similar show, Rude Tube, in the most unimaginative of ways, lumping videos into categories and counting down in the manner of You've Been Framed or America's Funniest Home Videos.

Yes, internet content is cheap and yes, it handily fills half an hour, all the while creating the illusion that television is still on top of popular culture. Tosh.0, on the other hand, is so much more than that. Rather than stage an off-camera interview to fill another 5 minutes of dead air space, Tosh invites viral victims into the safe haven of Web Redemption, where they are allowed a do-over. It's fresh, it's funny, and Tosh's writing and delivery are perfect.

You can watch one of his video responses, Is It Racist? here.


What did you find awesome this week? Celebrate it in a comment!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome this week...

doing absolutely nothing but bum around after 3 weeks of non-stop travel :)

so are you american or british?

frockandrollonline.com said...

After four rough, ROUGH months of study (think 28 hour week classes, coupled with 30 hours of working at night on top of that, and trying to maintain a blog as well.. hello, 3.5 hours sleep every night!), I got my results back for the course I just completed and extremely surprisingly, I totally blitzed it! :D I was ecstatic, I was figuring that I was only JUST going to pass it, 'cause of the hectic-ness of everything, but I scored an average of 75% in each assignment/exam and 90% in two of my units!

Becky Jean said...

Hmm...I haven't watched Tosh.0, but I spend enough time one Comedy Central to have seen the commercials non-stop. I think I might have to check it out.

I discovered the awesome-ness (yeah, the title needs to be different) of honey mustard marinade on pork chops. So delish!

Sophia said...

This week ... I found the awesomeness that is loafing. All summer I've been soo busy and finally I get the chance to sit around all day. It's fantastic!

Great blog, I'm glad I found it :)

Unknown said...

Katrina - nice! Where have you been travelling? I'm Scottish, my boyfriend lives here in California so I'm staying with him over the summer. I did study abroad here for a year in 07-08, good to be back!

Corrine - That's amazing, well done you! I can't even fathom being that busy, way to make me feel lazy ;)

Becky - You should definitely watch. It's on Thursday nights, I think 10pm central. I looove honey-mustard on chicken, nom.

Sophia - thanks so much! I'm reading yours right now =) Sitting around is underrated, don't you think?

Bridey said...

I have been ecstatically happy all week! I think it's a combination of being in love, enjoying my new job, deciding to do some more travel next year, and the feeling that summer is just around the corner.

Nicola said...

ah thats amazing you are in California for the summer! let the good times role!
ps great name!!!
:D

Anonymous said...

I have been in europe :) Cyprus, london, Paris and italy!

julie said...

Awesome, yesterday evening, a young poet slam competition where I hadn't even planned to go... Perfect!
I didn't know you're Scottish! Brings me back memories of my teenage years in Aberdeen!

Unknown said...

Bridey - you lucky antipodeans! It seems like you guys are always in/awaiting summer for some reason. Can't wait to hear about your travels!

Nicola - haha, that's right! ;)

Katrina - Aw that sounds awesome, I want to visit Cyprus so bad. Did you have a great time?

Julie - How long did you live in Aberdeen for?