Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sunday YouTube Videos of the Week

Summer is coming to an end, and that can mean, well, any number of things. For me, however, it marks that grey area sandwiched between the end of the music festivals and... Okay, I concede. One will go to great lengths in continuing one's denial that the university season is right around the corner! This is my way of dealing with it.

In celebration of everything YouTube in this final holiday week, I bring you the following:

Julia Nunes - That Green Gentleman: This bright young thing is my absolute favourite YouTube musician. This is her latest video. To quote the girl herself, "Panic at the Disco... can you believe it?". What's more, it features melodica. I just can't get enough. Also check out Julia's YouTube Channel, and MySpace. Click the links to buy her album!

Lauren O'Connell - Okkervil River: LaurenOC12, as she is known on YouTube, has appeared in one or two of Julia Nunes' videos, and is an excellent musician herself. This cover of Okkervil River by Westfall is a dramatic escape from the self-written acoustic numbers recorded in her basement. The style complements her unique, haunting voice fantastically.

Gina Rae - I Thought They Were Your Legs: A new favourite YouTube musician of mine. What can I say? I'm hooked! I found this lovely girl through my subscription to Seeso's favourites. Think Regina Spektor meets, well, Gina Rae! She's posted a few more videos since, and there is nothing else to say but this: she is wonderful. Actually, I lied, there's one other thing. Watch her!

12 Astrology Songs: I found this through Gala Darling's Twitter feed a few days ago, and it's absolutely hilarious. It depicts myself and my fellow Piesceans as whimsical, wishful, mood-swinging, insecure, indecisive, daydreamers, gentle, & kind. Well I guess that about sums it up!

Sarah Silverman - Jews and Blacks: Sarah Silverman on The Tonight Show, discussing with Jay Leno the similarities she's found between old Jewish people and young black people. It's not music, but it's worth a watch.

Enjoy!

No comments: