Tuesday, January 26, 2010

50 Books: Mission Accomplished!




A symptom of failing to write in one's blog until 25 days into the new year is that now you'll have to put up with end-of-year recaps such as this one. But don't let that put you off.

So, in 2009, I successfully read 50 Books! My mission was originally to read as many authors as possible, but as the year wore on I found myself hooked on certain authors (Jeffrey Eugenides, Ernest Hemingway, and a couple of brief flirtations!) Allow me to bore you with a long, but not wholly unnecessary, list. (The ones in bold are my favourites, and highly recommended!)

1. Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist - David Levithan & Rachel Cohn

2. Bird by Bird - Ann Lamott

3. Animal Farm - George Orwell

4. Shakespeare - Bill Bryson

5. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz

6. Franny & Zooey - J.D. Salinger

7. Neither Here Nor There - Bill Bryson

8. Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

9. Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi

10. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

11. Peter Pan - J.M. Barrie

12. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

13. Violet & Claire - Francesca Lia Block

14. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

15. Naive. Super - Erland Loe

16. The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera

17. Moab Is My Washpot - Stephen Fry

18. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

19. The Uncommon Reader - Alan Bennett

20. The Geography of Bliss - Eric Weiner

21. Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote

22. Drown - Junot Díaz

23. The Last Lecture - Randy Pausch

24. The History of Love - Nicole Krauss

25. Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates

26. Between the Bridge and the River - Craig Ferguson

27. Water For Elephants - Sara Gruen

28. The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga

29. My Booky Wook - Russell Brand

30. Into the Wild - John Krakauer

31. Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

32. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith

33. The Virgin Suicides - Jeffrey Eugenides

34. Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

35. Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh

36. Getting the Girl - Markus Zusak

37. A Moveable Feast - Ernest Hemingway

38. The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway

39. Blink - Malcolm Gladwell

40. Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell

41. American on Purpose - Craig Ferguson

42. Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters & Seymour: An Introduction - J.D. Salinger

43. A Hearbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - Dave Eggers

44. The Demon-Haunted World - Carl Sagan

45. When You Are Engulfed in Flames - David Sedaris

46. No one belongs here more than you. - Miranda July

47. Dress Your Family in Corduroy & Denim - David Sedaris

48. Writing Down the Bones - Natalie Goldberg

49. The Best Creative Non-Fiction (Vol. 1) - ed. Lee Gutkind

50. The Old Man & the Sea - Ernest Hemingway

So that's...
24 Novels
1 Graphic Novel
5 Novellas (in 4 books)
9 Autobiography/Memoirs
9 Other Non-Fiction
2 Short Story Anthologies

Books left unfinished at the end of the year:
Wicked - Gregory Maguire
My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead - ed. Jeffrey Eugenides

So far, it looks like this year will be chock-full of humour memoirs, travel books, and other non-fiction. But I'll throw in a novel once in awhile to mix things up.

Well that was fun! What did you read this year? Do you have a mission statement for this year?

Further reading: Stereotyping People By Their Favourite Author (made me giggle!)

5 comments:

The Sequin Cat said...

What a wonderful list!

I posted my review of reading on my blog too. You can find it here:
2009; a Year in Books

I think we have similar tastes in terms of writing I enjoy (2009 was about exploring different things.)

Welcome back to blogging! I hope you'll keep it up. xx

Ana said...

Definitely reading some of those!
Right now I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife and it's lovely so far :)

The Curious Cat said...

That is a very long list...it makes me wonder about mine...I don't think I've kept track...perhaps I should this year...some of them on there I have read - like Animal Farm, The Kite Runner, The Book Thief, The Great Gatsby...others no...The last Jeffrey Eugenides -My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead...I remember when I worked at HarperCollins and we published that... :) xxx

Unknown said...

Sequin Cat - I loved lots of the books on your list! I had meant to comment on that entry when you posted it, but I was on my ipod.

Lo - Reminds me, I meant to bold the ones I really loved, will edit with that soon! I loved the Time Traveler's Wife, & think you'll really enjoy it :)

Curious Cat - Thanks for your lovely comments! That's really cool, how long did you work for them? Was it as glamourous as I imagine it to be or quite the opposite? haha. I think it's one of those things that if you set your mind to isn't that difficult, just have to stay on track!

The Girl said...

I've decided this year to keep track of the books I read because I think it'll be nice to look back on them at the end of the year. My list almost definitely won't be as mind-expanding as yours though!

Have you finished Wicked yet? I thought that was a great book, there were times when I felt the pace fell off a bit but I just think it's a great concept. I've also read Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister which I enjoyed more.