Sunday, September 27, 2009

Books Books Books



I found this meme via Book Blogger Appreciation Week. Sadly, I came across it after it was already over, but when isn't a good time to celebrate our love of books?!


Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?

As lame as it sounds, I find it difficult to read & eat. I am so uncoordinated! Sometimes I enjoy a nice cold glass of ricemilk.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
Nononononono. I wish I'd make the effort to take some notes, though.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?
Bookmarks. Using this term loosely as it tends to mean whatever is at hand: my ipod, a TV remote, a train ticket, receipt. I believe at one time I attempted to use a dime.

Fiction, Non-fiction, or both?
Both. I've been on a real non-fiction kick lately, autobiographies in particular.

Hard copy or audiobooks?
Hard copy. The only time I attempted an audiobook was when I had to read Wuthering Heights for uni. I totally tuned out.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point?
Depends on the length of chapter and how sleepy I am. I tend to try to finish the chapter unless I know I won't take it in.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away?
I'm more of a context-reader. But if Evan is around I'll ask him, and if I'm really unsure I'll look it up. At one point I made a list of words I liked or was unfamiliar with; I should get back into that habit.

What are you currently reading?
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

What is the last book you bought?
The above, and American on Purpose by Craig Ferguson.

Are you the type of person that only reads one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time?
I like to read one fiction and one non-fiction in tandem. I'm technically also currently reading My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead, but ever since Hemingway everything sounds too flowery.

Do you have a favorite time of day and/or place to read?
Not really. I suppose the middle of the day until dinner. I change it up between the couch, the recliner and my bed currently. I like to read lying down but it leads to disastrous consequences.

Do you prefer series books or stand alone books?
Stand-alone.

Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over?
Markus Zusak, Jonathan Safran Foer, Bill Bryson, Jeffrey Eugenides.

How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc.?)
By author, and then by title within that. I also try to put the little ones together because UK and US sizes are inconsistent. Then I have a section for non-fiction (regular then autobiography), short stories and drama together, and a section of Penguin specials. I need a new bookcase.

Et toi? Pass it on! Show me your answers in the comments or post the link to your blog; I'd love to read them!

6 comments:

The Curious Cat said...

Good series of questions - here is one more - did you ever finish Wuthering Heights? I hope so....

Interesting one about dog-earring and bookmarks. I NEVER dog-ear - get very angry when people do it but I don't use bookmarks very often either. I just close the book and then reopen it later to what I think is the rough place I left off, scan the page, flick forward/backward accordingly and find the relevant spot in about 10 secs. It isn't that much hassle... Hmm....want to answer all these questions...may have to do a blog post too! xxx :) xxx

Unknown said...

I actually didn't finish Wuthering Heights, they changed the reading list so I never had to and just kind of forgot about it. I'm trying to read more classics though! Looking forward to reading yours if you do it!

Marie said...

I think I may have to steal this!

The Girl said...

I think I'm definitely going to have to join in on this one too!!

I get very irate when people turn down the corner of the page in a book. Same as when people deliberately break the spine on books - no need!! A little accidental creasing is ok but you don't need to bend the poor thing back on itself!

Sarah Von Bargen said...

I love your visual at the top there! What a clever idea!

Anonymous said...

Very cute image! As a fellow book-lover, I may also have to steal this... ;)