
Carry-on bags are a fickle business. What you put in there can stay on your back and about your person for days, so it's important to pack well. Except for a couple of heavy valuables, I think I've just about cracked it. Aside from the super-obvious, I'm always sure to pack the following:
Laptop - A necessity, due to its valuable nature. But it isn't too hard to find a backpack with a sturdy laptop pocket to make this less cumbersome. (I use a Dakine).
iPod & headphones - Headphones and earphones are desirable, so as you can change it up. I like ear-buds with adjustable sizes as they block out a lot of outside noise without costing a fortune. Stock up on podcasts and a couple of new albums. I like music that tells a story, so I'm saving The Decemberists' Hazards of Love for my next long-distance traverse!
A book & A magazine - I'm guilty of lugging 2 or 3 books on board for one journey, and much of the time don't even get around to reading. Paranoia sets in: What if the writing is hideous and I can't concentrate? What if I finish the last 150 pages 4 hours before we land? Chillax. Get a good recommendation and stick with it!
Notebook - As a lone traveller it's easy to get a bit lonely, so grab a notebook and get scribbling! Extra points for 140-character, Twitter-style remarks on your eccentric aeroplane buddies.
Passport & documents - Keep them safe, in one place, and always know which bag/pocket you put them in! I once thought I'd lost my passport after a 15-hour journey and they wouldn't let me connect without it. It's not fun, so keep it together! Etsy is bursting at the seams with cute travel wallets. It's also a good idea to print your itinerary and keep it handy for picky airport staff.
Toiletries - Toothbrush, toothpaste, some moisturiser, and a couple of face-wipes. It helps to land feeling clean and refreshed. My hands dry out something terrible on long-distance flights. A dab of powder and a lick of mascara can really uplift your mood after sitting next to a grump for 11 hours!
A couple of cheeky travel tips:
- Drink lots and lots and LOTS of water! You'll feel better on the other side-- trust me!
- Sign up for frequent flier miles (and treat yourself to a free upgrade once in a while).
- Spare socks and hand sanitizer are your friends.
What items are top of your to-pack list? Where in the world are you off to next?
3 comments:
i always have to pack at least 1 stuffed animal, ear plugs, notebooks & my ipod. i'm off next to munich, germany.
i agree with your list. but i am starting to realize that it's good to be away from your laptop/computer sometimes.. which is what i have been doing. i leave my laptop behind when i am traveling just because it's refreshing in that way and plus, if i needed anything, i still have my blackberry :)
@mademoiselle - Aww I never thought to take a stuffed toy, that's cute! Have a great trip =)
@notebookdoodles - I agree, most of the time I'm travelling it's to stay for long periods of time so I usually need my laptop. Sometimes it'd be nice to be rid of it!
Post a Comment