Saturday, June 6, 2009

Trawling the Disney Store & the Toy Cave



(Image by mr_analog.)


Look at this trove,
Treasures untold,
How many wonders can one cavern hold?...



I recently found myself wandering into the Disney Store, with that familiar awe-struck stare. Eyes bright, arms outstretched, gawping at the selection of goodies on sale at their ridiculously inflated corporate branded prices. It's enough to make you ill, but I still absolutely love it. Where else can you get a pencil case with secret compartments, a Buzz Lightyear just like the movie character (in proper, reach-out-and-touchable 3D!) and a keyring bearing every Disney character you could possibly imagine?

I'm still a big kid in the Disney store, despite having no use or reason for the stuff. I might have found myself buying a soft-toy version of Bolt, had my friend not given me the biggest, "Nicola, you are a child and I will not condone this type of behaviour while you are so ridiculously skint" look I have ever received. After telling them not to let you buy anything, under any circumstances, most friends will cave for an eyeliner or a cheap book (for which I am eternally grateful!) but none have yet condoned my ridiculous admiration of plush toys. And as much as I'd love to throw caution to the wind and buy myself a hammock to fill with furry friends (it's how we stored them at my house in the old days!) - they're right.

And today I worked out why. I am a self-confessed soft-toy junky, but today my parents and I cleared out the loft and I realised... this is a pretty massive collection. What can I do with it, aside from putting it back into storage?

I guess I was big-time into anthropomorphosis all along.

How old is too old to keep stuffed Eeyores and teddy-bears? Where do their personalities go when we all grow up?

6 comments:

Ana said...

Well, I still have a few plush toys lying around my room, but it doesn't really bother me. I can't resist them, they're so cute. As the years go by the number of plush toys in my room become smaller and smaller, but there will always be THE plush toy you will always have lying around (and trying to not feel guilty because you chose one instead of another).

Unknown said...

Hahaha, that's exactly it! The guilt! I had actually thought to keep one in my room, but I couldn't choose just one.

Bridey said...

I'll never be able to throw away my iconic 80s toys! I still have a Popple, Care Bear, and Cabbage Patch Kid in the depths of the wardrobe somewhere...

Ava Darling said...

i believe you're never too old to keep & acquire plush toys! i have some in my room & some just wait in the attic, but i would never be able to throw them out! some of them have been with me since the day i was born!

Sarah Von Bargen said...

I don't think you're ever too old! Though there is something to be said for finding a modern, adult way to display them.

Also: love that little cardboard robot!

Unknown said...

mademoiselleglitter - I found one that's pictured in my hospital cot when I was born. Definitely holding onto that one for as long as possible!

Sarah - Definitely agree about finding an adult way to display them. That's what I'm tyring to think up! There's a series of photos if you followt he link to the flickr account!