Earlier this week, I read this honest and touching collaborative blog post from Daisy Hill and Scott Jordan Harris at Touching From a Distance.
M.E., also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), is a debilitating condition that causes severe and persistent fatigue, headaches, pain, and cognitive difficulties. This is Daisy's video, giving a bit of a description.
At a minimum, M.E. tends to last around 6 months, but can persist for years. The cause is unknown, and there is no known reliable treatment or cure.
M.E. Awareness Week is important to me because my mother has suffered from M.E. for about 13 years now. I was only 9 when the symptoms began, and it was difficult to understand why she had such trouble doing day-to-day tasks and was sleeping all the time. Since I was so young, it because normal to me, I suppose, and I learned to do a lot of things for myself from a young age. Nowadays she is far more adept at handling her symptoms and balancing her day. Over-exertion tends to be a culprit, as it can take a long time to recover from one particularly busy day.
It is not impossible to recover from M.E., but the best many can hope for is improvement. An uncle and a friend of mine have also been affected by M.E. during their lives, and have been able to improve. These are all people who you can help
If you would like to get involved or raise awareness yourself, there are some excellent resources here, here, and here.
Have you, or anyone you know been affected by M.E.?
Until Monday,
Nicola x
[Image from weheartit.]

2 comments:
Interesting post...I really can't imagine how it must feel...I know how tired I get sometimes from feeling depressed or low but this is still nothing compared to what M.E sufferers must go through... at least there is chance of recovery...thank goodness xxx
Aaah my cousin has ME and is the only person I've ever known with it. She's much better now thank goodness but still has bad weeks/months. Awareness is still a huge issue, especially in the medical profession I think.
Post a Comment